This week we launched an alpha of our HTML5 slot machine game on Facebook and we ran into our first performance and scaling issues. Our first batch of users were complaining about the game loading slow and sometimes not loading at all. Not good news when you only have a couple dozen people playing.
In this case, our scaling and performance issues were partially technical and partially perceptual. This blog post is about the perceptual and the technical changes we made to improve loading performance.
While images, sounds and code were loading we would show this loading bar. It is an animated gif file, and it basically just goes forever.
It sucks from a usability perspective. The only excuses I have are that I was lazy and I wanted to see if it really mattered to users. It did. So with a bit more effort and more code we replaced it with this.
This is a lot better.
First we have to address the challenges that are introduced by CoffeeScript and require.js. The two tools we
This is how we do it.
You must be logged in to post a comment.